Thursday 17 December 2015

Party outfits

I'm sure there are a substantial number of people out there who can remember the sheer excitement and anticipation of the Christmas party season when they were little. When I was a kid I was really lucky and had the school Christmas party, as well as the parish Christmas party (held in the local catholic club where they always made a foil clad Santa grotto in the youth wing!). This of course meant a new party outfit! Special clothes saved just for these two parties and Christmas Day, it still leaves a warm and fuzzy feeling thinking about it.

Photo courtesy of Christmas 1984 (I was 3, Chris was 5), back in the days when having a big sister often meant nearly matching outfits! Good times!

This year I was actually able to go to my work Christmas party, usually I'm visiting family when they have it, this year it was early! And me being me, I decided that my party outfit must be handmade! 
Usually I would head for the dress patterns and pick a suitable fabric from either what I had, or online shopping. This year I already had some beautiful fabric I wanted to use, but I didn't have enough for a dress. I'd bought it planning a blouse/shirt type thing, but when it turned up it felt like water. I mean the drape on this stuff is just gorgeous!


So I resolved that it should be a skirt! A lovely swishy swooshy skirt. I decided to line it to give it a bit more volume, and to recreate the pleated skirt I had made in the summer with my squirrel cotton. It didn't entirely go to plan, the pleats are a bit mix and match, but they are a good 90% even (oops) and the pattern covers any indiscretions (phew). The lining (added as an interlining) was intended to avoid the water texture being too much of an issue, which really helped, and I think it gives an excellent result.

Dramatic lighting is a must for a close up don't you think

Of course to go with this I wanted to make a drapey blouse to tuck in. I decided on using a crepe de chine (more water fabric... Oh goodie), and a pattern I've used before.

You may recognise me from such tops as the grey checked one from summer. Now appearing in top left option, because I can't remember the letter.

 I wanted to add self drafted tulip sleeves, but after installing sleeve one I realised how much of a bad idea it was. It was so bad I couldn't bring myself to show you the fail (mental note, actually pay attention to the fabric you're using). So the sleeves are a small rectangle of fabric folded back onto the sleeve cap. I kind of made it up as I went along.


I must admit I'm not hugely in love with the blouse. It served its purpose, but if I'd had time I would have scrapped the crepe in favour of a light cotton lawn. These thoughts were reinforced by the fact the skirt was complimented quite a bit, but when I said the top was handmade too it was just sort of brushed over. I will forgive my workmates though, they were somewhat squiffy, and who could look any further than this beautiful skirt!!


Next year, even if I don't make it to the Christmas party, I think I'll still make myself some special Christmas clothes, because... Why not.

I'm really not sure why the roses lined up this way on the back... But I kinda like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment