Sunday 17 January 2016

Copy and paste

This top I actually made before Christmas but it hadn't been photographed so it didn't end up on my list of stuff I made in 2015.

I made this to use up the leftover material from my Christmas party skirt, I was left with less than a meter and was unsure what I could do with it. I decided to copy a t shirt I bought a while ago (which is just the right length and has just the right bagginess), I managed this by tracing around the t shirt and addin 1/4" seam allowance...


It was a bit rough but it's a simple shape. Of course as it was a t shirt I traced, and I wanted to make it out of rayon, bust darts must be added. The easiest thing was to trace the armhole and bust of a previous pattern and to widen the pattern pieces.


I think it's a pretty decent copy too. I needed to shorten it as there wasn't quite enough fabric, but it still works nicely.


The neckline and armholes on the original are finished with matching bias binding, which I didn't have enough fabric to make, so I just used navy blue cotton, they don't lie as flat as I would like but it's ok.

The bust darts turned out ok too. But next time I might actually try adjusting the pattern properly.


For my first attempt at a traced pattern this is ok, I think I'll use it again, but next time just a direct copy using more Jersey fabric. But this is a great way to use up any leftovers from pretty much anything.








No comments:

Post a Comment