Saturday 5 March 2016

Mittens for Mum

 If Mother's Day isn't a perfect opportunity for a handmade gift then when the hell is... Ok maybe Father's Day... But that's not for aaages. 

Last year I made Mum a shawlette, and she was still wearing it when I visited at Christmas. But I remember a comment she had made a long while ago about wanting some fingerless mittens for driving... So guess what I made her.... Yep, another scarf... Just kidding, of course it was mittens!!

I used a free pattern on Ravelry which doesn't seem to have a name as such. The title is 'Womens hand/wrist warmers' which is taken from the book 'Last-Minute Knitted Gifts'. Which is a pretty good description of them actually.

Photo taken from Ravelry pattern page

The pattern asks for Aran weight yarn, and because of the step-rib pattern they're pretty much a one size fits all mitt.

I went on a search for a luxury yarn for these mitts, after feeling dissapointed about the quality of yarn I used for last years shawlette I wanted to make sure these were just perfect. I decided on some super soft Sirdar Sublime in a worsted weight.


I am in love with this wool, I have taken a huge shine to merino, and this one is sooooo smooth and soft. It's a Mum colour too. She has blue/green eyes which look lovely when she wears light blue. This is 'Clipper' which is a ridiculously difficult colour to photograph apparently.
Because this is closer to a DK than an Aran I needed to do some maths (yay maths, I love maths... Enter sarcastic voice here). And I decided to modify the pattern somewhat too to include thumbs.

Photo from my Pinterest page

What I failed to do was put the thumb in properly, rather than creating a gusset as I went I left a gap so I could pick up stitches later... Which turned out to be a right royal pain in the arse! 

I changed the wrist ribbing to a K1P1 which I just prefer, and finished up with a K1P1 and a super stretchy bind off. The stitch pattern is really easy to follow and I love that it creates a sort of cable effect too.

They do make my little fingers look ridiculously small!

The thumb came into existence by picking up 27sts and at the base of thumb decreasing 2 each round, then a smidge of K1P1 as there's no such thing as too much ribbing aaaand voila... Thumb!


Not too shabby if I do say so


I really really love these mittens, and am really excited as I have just enough wool left to make a shorter, cuff length pair (aww matching mother daughter mittens, am I really that twee... Yeah probably)

And off they went in the post to the Deep South... Of Wiltshire, just in time for Mother's Day 


Hope she likes them







No comments:

Post a Comment