Saturday 26 March 2016

Renfrew and frew and frew and frew

So I made myself a couple of t shirts... Four to be specific. I had a stockpile of t shirt fabric and the Sewaholic Renfrew pattern, so I just went to town with it!

There is method to this t shirt madness. I may have mentioned that tops are missing in my handmade wardrobe so over the next few months I will be focussing on filling this gap. So enough of this nonsense.... And down to my t shirts!


I tried a few different fabrics and a few different constructions to keep things interesting. But I did stick to the one neckline type, I wasn't feeling adventurous enough for the v neck. I have plans for this though as I still have a fair chunk of jersey left from each one. I also quite fancy trying the strange turtle neck/scarf type collar. But that's for a later date.


So I did mostly stick to view A. but with some view B. sleeves too.

#1 the wearable muslin...

Can you remember that 100% cotton that arrived in an attractive brown, which I dyed? Well here it is in all its glory! In Renfrew view A. I just cut and made it in an unaltered size 8, and was quite surprised to find it fit just fine! 

#1 is very comfy and I love the fabric, but I really did make a hash of dying it which is why it looks tie-dyed-tastic! And if you think the front is bad... Wait till you see the back...


Erm... No. So I shall be dying this once more.. Probably to black to get rid of that lovely blotch on the back. But anyway, onwards to #2...


This fabric is God only knows what. I bought it from an eBay seller who described it as 'vintage style jersey fabric'. I wouldn't have said vintage, but I love the geometric pattern. It's quite thick and has minimum stretch to it. I went short sleeve because of the busy pattern, the neck line and sleeves are finished with bands but the hem is just folded and twin needle stitched.


This is I think my favourite one, but I wish I'd made the hem an inch longer.

#3...


This t shirt nearly didn't exist.. This jersey is soooo flimsy and soooo thin it was nigh on impossible to sew with! So I hedged my bets and have simply folded and twin needle stitched the neckline, sleeves, and hem. Wobbly stitching at that! Side effect of this is a very wide neckline, meaning bra strap exposure risk!


Aside from this little issue though, it's a lovely top. It keeps its nice shape over the body, so I will very probably wear it lots over the summer.

Aaaaand #4...

Another very light and drapey jersey, another 100% cotton. But one I could work with pretty easily. Because it's very fine, the waistband on the bottom does cling a little. And is perhaps snigger than I would like. But I love the softness and colour. 


I really enjoyed making these t shirts. The pattern is a fantastic and easy one to make up, and these are all fantastic wardrobe staples. Next step... V neck t shirts!









No comments:

Post a Comment