Saturday 23 April 2016

Coco Loco

I must be the only blogger going who hasn't made a Coco. Ok maybe I exaggerate, but it kinda feels like it. I've debated for a very long time over whether to buy this pattern. I mean yeah it's cute, but it's also very basic, and could I not find something to match it? (the Plantain t-shirt is pretty close). Well I mentioned that I had a hen-do to plan recently, the theme of which we decided was going to be French (she loves France and Paris in particular). We even found an art class (OK a life drawing class) to do for a bit of fun, so obviously we needed to look like French artists. 

So I needed a French striped top, and what could be more perfect than a Coco tunic with some skinny black jeans... So I caved and bought it!


Ha ha... Odd socks!! 

The Coco has three options with mid- cuffed sleeves, long sleeves, dress length and tunic length as options, and if you really want something striking there's an awesome 60s style standing collar too! I'm so trying that for a winter dress next year!


I bought some ponte-Roma jersey to make it with, which turned up a bit rough and scratchy which I was disappointed with... But bloody hell is it warm! I was obviously going for tunic length, and decided to make the cuffs as a cute extra detail. On the photos you can hardly see it because of the stripes, but they work really well.


As far as construction goes... This is really absurdly easy! Front... Back... Sleeve... Sleeve... Done! The cuffs and collar add a bit more work, but not much. The things I would change about it next time would be to cut a smaller size over the shoulders and sleeves, and grade it back out again for my hips... There does seem to be quite a bit of excess fabric on this one...


But it makes it loose and comfy. The whole thing can be squeezed out of a mere metre of fabric. I have loads spate of the 1.5 meters recommended... Hmmm maybe a colour blocked Coco sometime?

I even managed a spot of stripe matching!


A detail I really liked was those little notches as the waistband, it gives it a more professional feel and another cute little detail. What I really wasn't keen on was the idea of zig zag top stitching. I think it really shouts out that something is home-made. I went with a twin needle... Though I really need to work on my straight lines!

In all I like this pattern, it's simple but interesting enough depending on how much you put into it. I am looking forward to trying it as a dress (which is basically a really long version of the top). There doesn't feel like there's much to say about it, maybe because it is such a straightforward pattern, which is presented really well in its packet and instructions.

And if you want to know how it looked on the day?


Yeah the tash and beret were obligatory... That was a good day





No comments:

Post a Comment