Monday 2 May 2016

Adventures in the Deep South

I would like to make one thing very clear... When I say Deep South.... I do mean Berkshire. I'm allowed to say it this as I'm from the bleak north.

Anyway, I digress. So I spent my bank holiday this time round visiting family in Hungerford, I love it down there, not in the least because it's just that little bit warmer. It was a very quick visit but I managed to cram it with as much stuff as I could.

Saw some lovely architecture in Reading and Newbury (bottom right)

On Friday I headed into Reading for the day to do a bit of shopping. While I have a great shopping city on my very own doorstep, what I don't have, and the main reason for going into Reading in particular... Is fabric shopping. See they have a Fabric Land! And I love me some Fabric Land.

I pretty much behaved myself when I was there, I could have come home with suiting, denim, cottons and all sorts... But I limited myself to what I could carry back on the plane home and bought some lovely ribbed jersey, a printed cotton, and some Rayon both in plain black and with cute little swans on it.


Yes they're all dark colours, but I have surprisingly few me-makes in black or deep navy. And they are all so lovely and soft.

On Saturday I spent the day shopping with Mum (Dad being out of action following foot surgery) in Newbury. We had an awesome French lunch in Pauls cafe there and just mooched around for the day.


On Sunday we went searching for bluebells. The woods in the area are carpeted with them at this time of year, and it's quite a sight to see. I loved that wandering around the woods I kept finding chunks of flint, what the early pre-history humans used to survive (spears, arrows, juggling practice - though that last one has never been proven).

Speaking of pre-history, which they have so much of you keep tripping over it all of the time, we also decided to take a trip up to the Long Barrow at West Kennet.


Built 5500 years ago (or thereabouts) it's one of the biggest surviving burial grounds in the country... As far as barrows go. It's open so people can investigate it and go right to the back, but I've always been too freaked out to do it. I think it's all of the people who were buried in there, gives me the jips. But this time I made it to the back chamber, and feel rather smug with myself if I do say so.


But it's worth the trip up the hill to the barrow just for the views!!

So while I was down there I obviously needed a travel project (both of my cardigans are getting a bit bulky to carry around), so I also made a start, and excellent progress, on a Brickless shawl. Pattern can be found on Ravelry, which so many of mine are found on. I am using Drops Alpaca again and as the gauge will be miles out (Brickless is designed for DK rather that 4ply) I have decided to just keep going in the pattern until I run out of wool.


It's a great knit though, easy pattern sections building up a nice gentle curl... I've a feeling this is going to be huge! So now I'm home and have one last day before being back at work I am currently curled up making even more progress on my Brickless.

Hope you all enjoyed your bank holidays as much as I have.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment