Tuesday 7 June 2016

Bailey

Wow am I getting creative with my post titles or what?!

Well it may not be witty or creative, but it's certainly to the point, and the point today is my new cardigan! Yes folks it's finished, sewn up... Pockets too, and ends all tucked away nice and snug. Put your hands together for.... Bailey!!


This fella has featured in many a work in progress post, but no longer! It was an easy knit and I'm very pleased with the minimalist look that simple knitting has produced. This is the Bailey Cardigan pattern by Amy Christoffers (go find it on Ravelry) which I decided to make after an already started cardigan just wasn't doing it for me. I do love me a cardigan, and I wear them all the time (almost), but all the ones I wear are a really basic coverup rather than being a bit bling with cables and lace everywhere. The appeal of this pattern was that it was simple, but not too boring, cosy, but not too fluffy, practical, but flattering... This is pretty much the cardigan Goldilocks would pick up if there was a chill in the three bears house!


It's design features are pretty much the tiny ribbing on the bottom, the sideways knit pockets, and a touch of the old I cord binding for the edge. Subtle and classy.


It's all knit up in one piece to the armholes, then separate fronts and back lead up to a shawl type collar (which I couldn't manage to photograph properly. Then the pockets are made and stitched on separately... Yeah I didn't enjoy that stitching stage! This version is knit up using a budget merino yarn which I'm not shy to say I didn't like. It's scratchy where merino should not scratch!! But this pattern really makes the most of it, and I've grown to like the red yarn. I'm hoping more fabric softener laced washes will give it more of a softness over time.


I've been wearing it all day and I love how cosy it is, without it taking over as a giant cardigan. I can see this becoming a regular favourite. 


I can also see me making this again in another colour... But I'm trying to resist the pull of a charcoal grey... Everything I'm making right now seems to be grey/have some grey in it. There's liking a colour, and having everything matching, and just going a bit monochrome (although I can pretend to be in a black and white film... Hmmm this does have its perks). 

Anyway, finished cardigan - check... Splash of colour in my wardrobe -check!


No comments:

Post a Comment