Friday 19 August 2016

And ode to Pleats

So you've got a night out coming up (the hen do of a work friend), and you've found the cutest stretch cotton which arrived on your doorstep the day before, what do you do?

Pleat it of course!!


Ok I know what you're thinking, haven't you made this skirt before? Why yes I have, it comes in both Squirrel and roses. But hey, if it ain't broke...

This fabric I found on eBay and bought on a whim because of the lovely leafy butterfly-y print. It's a stretch cotton (which doesn't actually have very much stretch in it at all) and because it was a whim-buy I only got 1 meter.


So to make the most out of the yardage, and get the pattern the right way up, I cut it in half and sewed it into a tube... Added a 1" waistband... And box-pleated the hell out of it. I did add a lining to it before pleating, I guess I'll want to wear this come winter with tights so it made sense. The pleats themselves are around 2" each with one slightly smaller one on the right hip (to keep it incognito). I popped a centred zip in there and a button on the top, hemmed it to sit just on my knees, and hey presto!


It's swooshy too.

This has definitely become my go-to non pattern pattern for a nice full skirt. And I firmly believe you'll see another on here before the year is out... Sorry, I just can't help myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment