Saturday 13 August 2016

Finding inspiration... A hacked Olsen dress

Ah Pinterest, I fell down this rabbit hole a few years ago. It satisfies my age old need to collect pretty pictures (I used to cut up magazines and make collages), and it inspires me. I can loose hours to just flicking through the pictures and pinning the ones I like. Every now and again it throws up a little gem, something I really really want, and because I can sew... I can have it if I try hard enough...


Ok so it's not exact... But it feels pretty close. That's my version on the left if you're wondering. I've had this little black dress saved for quite a while, it was just recently that all the pieces fell into place and I realised I could actually make it. 

Let me introduce you to the ingredients for this dress...
Fabric: this is a really silky black viscose that I bought in Fabric Land (Reading) on my visit south a few months ago. It was intended to be a couple of floaty tops but, well, fate had other plans.
Pattern: I only stumbled on the free pattern from Salme recently (that was what galvanised this dress into action), the Olsen dress matched perfectly except for lack of sleeves...

Other Pattern: This is where trusty New Look 6217 came in...


I traced out the top for the Olsen dress and added the kimono sleeves from the New Look view B. Then I went to town sewing it up.

I did hit a few snags, the Olsen pattern is huge!! I sewed up a pretty small size and still needed to take some baggies out of the back, this has given the back neckline a v shape (because of course I sewed the bias binding on BEFORE trying it on... Twit! But I like the v effect so I forgive myself. Other than that it went very easily, the fabric is just wonderful to work with and even better to wear. I'm going to be back in Reading in October and I'm praying they still stock that viscose... You hear me Fabric Land?! Get it sorted!!


The dress is super comfy to wear because of its elastic acted waist and general flowiness.


Although I prefer it with a belt covering the elastic. I also love the midi length to it, I've already decided that if the length goes horribly out of fashion (please don't) I will just cut this dress shorter and keep on wearing it.


I LOVE this dress

So my Pinterest obsession has paid off. In your face all of the people who said 'but you'll never actually make anything from Pinterest'. Ok they might have been talking about recipes... But still.



2 comments:

  1. It looks lovely. I think I prefer your version to the Pinterest dress. I've been thinking about doing a New Look 6217 - Southport dress mashup for a similar sort of dress but maxi. You've inspired me to cracking on with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah thanks... Now you've got me thinking of a maxi-length Olsen dress... Maxi Southport dress sounds awesome

    ReplyDelete